Author Topic: suitability for client with local/remote server  (Read 4771 times)

wombat66

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
suitability for client with local/remote server
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:11 AM »
hi..

I've just started digging into RakNet and would like to know if it is suitable for a client/server model where the server may be local or remote. I want to do this on IOS 4+ and Android Jelly Bean+. Similar to the Quake 3 model, to simplify the logic. If anyone can point me to an example of how to do this it would be appreciated. I suspect that if the loopback IP address is used the OS would skip the network stack in favour of fast memory transfers, significantly reducing the latency/load.

thanks!

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
Re: suitability for client with local/remote server
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
RakPeer works identically whether the instance you are connecting to is local or remote.

wombat66

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
Thanks! In your opinion, are there risks to this approach? I don't know how commonly RakNet is used for this model.

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. There's no inherent risk as far as RakNet is concerned.

wombat66

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »
I envy your degree of certainty :). Seems like you have a solid design. Running both client and server on a mobile device to me raises questions about power and OS resource usage but if there are no known issues then it seems worth a try. Thanks for your help!