Author Topic: ClientServerMAME  (Read 4634 times)

Digitalghost

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
ClientServerMAME
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
Hey guys,

Some of you might have heard of MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator). Basically, it lets you play arcade games dating back from pong (or maybe even earlier) to arcade games circa 2006. The volume of games supported by mame is massive, and includes some consoles (notably, Super Nintendo).

There's a program called Kaillera that allows you to play MAME games online with your friends, but it has some drawbacks:
-It only works for windows
-It uses UDP and does not gracefully handle dropped packets. The games will desync and become frustrating for all players if a packet is dropped
-It isn't open source

So I decided to write my own network wrapper around MAME using RakNet called ClientServerMAME. ClientServerMAME supports any number of players (6-player X-Men anybody?), performs a complete game sync every 5 seconds to eliminate desync, works on any OS that MAME supports and even between OS's (I have been able to play a game between a windows 7 box and an ubuntu machine), and is completely open source ( http://github.com/MisterTea/ClientServerMAME ).

If there are any MAME players out there, give it a shot and let me know what you think =)