Author Topic: Natural Selection probably use Raknet  (Read 6441 times)

F1ll3r

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
Natural Selection probably use Raknet
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
According to Flayra, the Natural Selection main developer, they will probably use Raknet as there network engine.

"I've already seen a lot of hype looking at the community here in Poland, but every single time I get the same question: Will the new engine have a good enough Netcode for a game like that? - Are you confident about it working as intended and such?"

"The Netcode has been one of the easiest parts of the engine so far. We haven't tested it that much over the internet but so far when there have been problems they are able to be fixed within a couple days. We are also able to swap out different networking libraries (RakNet, the Tribes networking, etc.) so this doesn't look like much of a risk to us. The level editor has been far more challenging."

source: http://www.natural-selection.pl/viewtopic.php?t=2593&sid=f32c7e53796167f14c8d18fa9810dd94

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
Re: Natural Selection probably use Raknet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
Cool

F1ll3r

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »
Natural Selection will not use Raknet

Quote from: Max (developer of NS2)

Our netcode is written from scratch. I originally integrated RakNet and OpenTNL (the Tribes networking library), but I had problems with them and didn't like the idea of using those black boxes for something as critical as the networking. My implementation borrows ideas from Quake 3 and Half Life, though for the things you guys are discussing it's more like HL than Q3A.

src: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107518&st=20&p=1729670&#entry1729670

im not realy sure why he calls raknet as a black box, because its posible to download and look at the source code so it shouldnt be a problem  ???

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
It's always easier to do the minimum possible. For example, it's easier to build a wooden box car than to learn how to drive a race car. If all you need is a box car though, you might as well go with that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:05:49 PM by Rak'kar »