Author Topic: RakNet 2.452 released  (Read 6151 times)

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
RakNet 2.452 released
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:13:59 AM »
Fixes a bug where lost connections are not detected if only one message is waiting to be sent to the system that dropped.

Sorry, I know this was just done.  The same function was fixed as in 2.451.

James

Re: RakNet 2.452 released
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
RakNet no longer compiles on VC6.

Please make RakNet 2.44 availiable and mark it as the last VC6-buildable iteration.  Otherwise, start with a clean install of VC6 and fix the templating problems.

Thank you for your contribution.

Silver Hawk

• View Profile
    • Crestock
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 12:36:37 PM »
RakNet no longer compiles on VC6.

Please make RakNet 2.44 availiable and mark it as the last VC6-buildable iteration.  Otherwise, start with a clean install of VC6 and fix the templating problems.

Thank you for your contribution.

May be you can give a try to STLPort. It is useful in case you have template problems with VC6.

Best wishes,
Michael

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »
James, if you would like to post the error messages I will fix the compile problems the same day I see your post.  I agree it ought to run on VC6 but I don't have a copy installed ATM.

Thanks.

Jens H.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 12:50:40 PM »
Hi there,

I am one of the guys struggling with the "new" Raknet and Visual C++ 6.

Tonight I did some tests with BitStream.* which is the source of the compiling problems. It seems VC6 doesn't like "inline"-templates. It prints many strange error messages that were posted in other threads (I have a German version so that won't be very helpful).

So, I removed all "inline" definitions and moved all the functions from BitStream.h to BitStream.cpp.

That compiles fine...

...but is not very good I presume because the the inline definitions are there for performance?

I'm not that crack with C++. Does anyone know why VC6 is having problems with "template<> inline void bla"? I have the latest Service Pack installed.

Thanks.
Jens

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 01:30:31 PM »
May be you can give a try to STLPort. It is useful in case you have template problems with VC6.

STLPort is an implementation of the Standard Template Library. RakNet doesn't use the STL at all from what I know. The problem is that the VC6 compiler chokes on certain template definitions. It simply doesn't have good template support (even VC++ .NET 2002 isn't fully compliant with the standard when it comes to templates  ::)).

So, I removed all "inline" definitions and moved all the functions from BitStream.h to BitStream.cpp.

Inline shouldn't have any effect on it because it's a "suggestion" to the compiler according to the MS docs, but anything is possible I suppose. Also, you can't put template functions into a CPP file. The compiler won't be able to use them if you do that.

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
A kind user emailed me the fixes for VC6 so I'll upload that tonight.

Silver Hawk

• View Profile
    • Crestock
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 11:12:55 AM »

STLPort is an implementation of the Standard Template Library. RakNet doesn't use the STL at all from what I know. The problem is that the VC6 compiler chokes on certain template definitions. It simply doesn't have good template support (even VC++ .NET 2002 isn't fully compliant with the standard when it comes to templates  ::)).

Hmmm. I see. I have heard that the use of STLPort was a positive thing for users using VC6, as it would gives VC6 a much improved template support. But I never tried myself as if I have I would use VS .NET 2003 or 2005.

Best wishes,
Michael