Author Topic: Using the GPL instead of Creative Commons  (Read 5376 times)

oskar

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
Using the GPL instead of Creative Commons
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »
The CC non-commercial license is incompatible with the GPL, making it impossible to legally use RakNet in GPLed projects. The GPL doesn't explicitly prohibit commercial use, but it's impractical to use it for that purpose anyway due to its requirement of free redistribution. Is it possible that the free version of RakNet will be released under this license?

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
Re: Using the GPL instead of Creative Commons
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »
The main reason I don't release under the GPL is this is considered taboo by most game developers and publishers, in fact it is usually expressly forbidden in the contract. While the prospective buyer may license under a different agreement, simply having "GPL" on the website at all will scare away legal and business people, who generally make the money decisions. It's not logical but it is true nonetheless.

oskar

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:08:03 PM »
The main reason I don't release under the GPL is this is considered taboo by most game developers and publishers, in fact it is usually expressly forbidden in the contract. While the prospective buyer may license under a different agreement, simply having "GPL" on the website at all will scare away legal and business people, who generally make the money decisions. It's not logical but it is true nonetheless.
Does that mean you wouldn't raise any fuss if someone included RakNet in a GPLed program anyway? I'm not saying I plan to do that -- so far my program only uses BSD-licensed libraries besides RakNet -- but it would be nice to know if I ever come across GPLed code I want to use.

Rak'kar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RakNet
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
RakNet's license doesn't exclude it from being included with a GPL program, but the non-commercial license would have to apply when it is distributed.

oskar

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
RakNet's license doesn't exclude it from being included with a GPL program,
True, but the GPL excludes RakNet's license from being included, so the effect is the same. Anyway I understand your reasoning, so I'll just make sure to stick with only BSD or Apache-licensed code.