Author Topic: Nebuscade  (Read 4855 times)

UlrichHaar

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
Nebuscade
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »
Hi all,

Nebuscade is a small game I made ( for reasons I don't exactly remember ) using Raknet as transport protocol.

nebuscade.dngames.net (sorry for the layout, but I'm a programmer)

It's currently alpha (somewhat feature complete), so if you have any suggestions or criticism, please let me now.

Have fun.

OvermindDL1

• Anti-Spam Moderator
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
    • OvermindDL1's Site
Re: Nebuscade
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »
Server is a bit slow (is it hosted on dial-up or something?  I averaged 6kb/sec, rather then my usual 800kb/sec...).
Screenshots look quite interesting.
9 minutes left on download...

EDIT:  Tried to run it, got this nice error:
Nebuscade has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem

We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Nebuscade.  We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

What is with the .NET stuff, it has *never* worked well on any computer I've been on (and yes, it is installed and updated).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:31:32 PM by OvermindDL1 »

UlrichHaar

• Not-a-newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:01:08 PM »
Sorry it doesn't work, but thanks for checking it out.

I'm also beginning to wonder about .NET, as the problems do occur on lots of different machines. I had hoped it might not be that bad, as it only uses .NET 1.1 and Managed Direct X is automatically installed (I think) with the newer DXs. That was proven to be wrong.

Whatever, I wonder what happens if you change to XNA.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:03:43 PM by UlrichHaar »

OvermindDL1

• Anti-Spam Moderator
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
    • OvermindDL1's Site
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »
.NET 2.0 is far more stable then .NET 1.1.  Even then, I have never been able to run either well.  If the .NET app has no gui, it generally runs, if it has any gui, it tends to crash in really nasty and irritating ways as in the above on all of my machines and at work, although I usually get to see the app and fiddle around before it dies, with this one it just doesn't come up.

As such, I have a really large hatred for .NET because of that.  Good idea, implemented really badly.  And still too slow for any cpu intensive game, fine for smaller ones.  That is the main issue I've heard with XNA for the 360, it may be free, but it is excruciatingly slow compared to the the native libraries (which is what you need to pay a freakin ton for).  It would not be so bad if you could use it as I use Python, to create all the glue and gameplay in .NET(/Python), but have anything that requires speed written in C/C++.

EDIT:  Just for note, if you program in C++ there are a few garbage collectors out there if you wanted to go all out, though I personally handle it myself or use boost::smart_pointers (shared_pointers and weak_pointers) instead, if memory handling is the reason you don't wish to use C++.  The next version of C++ even comes with a garbage collector if you choose to use it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:36:46 PM by OvermindDL1 »